Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #148 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Goofle, are you aware you didn't actually put a rating down for the album?

Oh and @ Misspoptart, I'm just glad to see some activity here.

Questions
1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?
"Man, this sounds epic" were probably my first thoughts. These songs are intense, melancholy, even a bit depressing at times, but they evoke tons of fantastic imagery. Really cool.

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
Around the third track the album got into this really dramatic ambient sound that was highly, highly addicting. The fourth and fifth tracks were much better than the first three.

3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?
Meh, they were mostly similar. I can't choose one set over the other.

4. On repeated listens (if you did so), did you find you liked the album more, or less? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
I didn't listen to the album again, though I did listen to few individual tracks again.

5. What is your favorite track from the album, if you have one?
"The Calling," "Splinter," or "Lost." One of those songs.

6. What is your least favorite track from the album, if you have one?
Not sure.

7. Did you change your favorite or least favorite track as you listened to the album?
Well "The Calling" was my favorite, but then I heard "Splinter" and I liked that just as much. Same thing goes for "Lost."

8. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
I've got a mixed feeling about the variety. Most of the tracks stand out on their own, but I just think the album is just a tad too long and could be cut by a few tracks. "The Calling" has this deep orchestral section, and I think "Splinter" has an Oud playing at a few points, so the variety is quite high.

9. What is the overall mood on this album?
Definitely gloomy or melancholy, but there are a few moments where the gloomy feeling dissipates and the mood changes to this epic, inspiring melody. Most of the time though, the mood is just gloomy sprinkled with a few changes throughout.

10. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?
It's a bit long, so probably just a few tracks.

11. How well do you already know the band/artist?
Never heard of him.

12. If you are familiar with this band/artist, how would you compare this album to any of their earlier/later material?
N/A.

13. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
A bit shorter would be nice. The variety is very good as is, but maybe have more contrast between the intense, grinding synth tracks and the melodic ones. "Lost" is very close to a ballad in sound, and maybe if you threw another one in the album, and maybe take out a track from the second half of the album and threw in another grinding synth track, it would be much more entertaining.

14. Would you recommend this album to others?
Yeah, I could see most people finding something from this I like.

15. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?
Yes. I may bring this guy back when it's my turn to pick next.

16. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
Intense, gloomy industrial? I don't know honestly.

17. (NOTE: Ignore this question if the album does not have lyrics.) Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
He was great. Had no qualms with him except the whispering on the third track was slightly, very slightly, annoying, but it could have been much worse. Other than that, I have no problems with this guy.
Goofle mentioned the lyrics and yeah I will agree on paper, the lyrics sounds cheap, but the flawlessly timed instrumentation that surrounds the vocals really enhances their value I think.

18. Your overall album rating on a scale of 1-10
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote