Music Banter - View Single Post - Gavin Rossdale - Kurt Cobain
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Default Gavin Rossdale - Kurt Cobain

DISCLAIMER: I saw the Bush thread made back in 2009, but this isn't a Bush topic only so figured I'd just open its own thread.

So, essentially I don't want this to be so much a Gavin vs Kurt debate/and or discussion, so much as I just want this to be something to more or less talk about two very charismatic frontmen from an era in music that has a lot of nostalgia, or maybe a time in music that some of us here miss, as there were some great music or bands in general from that time of grunge music. But it likely will become just that, Gavin vs Kurt...

My opinion has always been that Gavin was the better frontman; better songwriter, had better control of his voice and better range, wasn't as sloppy of a guitar player, always seemed to have a more appealing stage presence in comparison to Kurt. Kurt was a damaged guy, had issues. To a lot of people that makes for a more interesting frontman. Under all that was just a mediocre guitar player, songwriter, singer, so on and so forth. I like Kurt, always have. But I've just never understood why people think he is so great. I've struggled with this since the first time I heard both bands and began forming my opinions on the two. But I always went back to who as a frontman I thought was better, Gavin or Kurt. And I always say it is Gavin.

As a last thought. Bush wasn't this Nirvana rip off band that so many people thought they were. Nirvana wasn't the first grunge band, they were just the first to make it big and get critical acclaim. So it is easy for anyone to claim that any band that made it big after them that played the some genre of music, was a copycat band. That's ridiculous everyone. Bush had influence from Nirvana, there a songs where this is crystal clear. But I've heard every Bush album ever released. And I can say that Bush did have a sound that was more or less theirs. Gavin didn't copy Kurts vocals. That's something I hear or read a lot. Gavin had a distinct voice all his own, just like Kurt did.

Discuss.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote