Music Banter - View Single Post - Gavin Rossdale - Kurt Cobain
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

No, what I was implying is that you don't know the difference between a band who can create a trend and who are doing so for no other reason than because it's members just want to express themselves and play the music they want and not care about being 'the best this' or 'the best that' and a band who are created solely for the purpose of exploiting the popularity of something just to make money playing what a record company tell them to.

But that's not so say you have to dislike one over the other for it. If you want to like Bush over Nirvana that's your choice and your right and I won't criticise you for it. But it is ok you're allowed to say bands you like are shit yet you still love them anyway.
Bush hopped on a bandwagon and made their millions, nothing more.

They're a corporate entity created to be the safe more acceptable face of Grunge, smoothing off all those rough edges that made the genre appealing in the first place. They were the band you went to if, heaven help you The Smashing Pumpkins were too edgy for you.

As for your claims about songwriting, guitar playing and all the rest of it. Well it's not a competition if you're listening to Nirvana and complaining about the guitar playing you've kind of missed the point of what Nirvana were about. And if you've missed the point of what they were about how can you really judge about their worth. It would be me criticising a folk band and saying they suck because they don't have flashy guitar solos in their songs. You don't have to play an instrument well unless you're in a band who are all about playing technical proficiency. Nirvana are are not one of those bands they just have to be competent with their instruments, it's not a competition about who is the best it's about expressing yourself with it. The sooner people like you realise that the sooner we might just get less ****ty music in the world.

But like I said, if you like them, great. But at least see them for what they are and don't try to pass them off as having some sort of artistic integrity just because YOU like them. I like plenty of throwaway pop, I'm not going to claim it's anything special just because I happen to like it though.

There's a reason why Bush sold millions of albums over an extremely small time period and are now totally forgotten about, have you figured out why yet?

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote