Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #9546 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Nobody's saying that. There are definitely parts of his discography that are not innovative, that's for sure. But when people discuss Tom Waits' innovation, they're usually talking about, you know, the INNOVATIVE part of his career. So you do talk about race too much because you ignore what people are actually saying to plug in your buzz topic. Look at the videos I posted earlier, it has blues and jazz roots but it's still very much its own thing. Here's another for you

This is totally not true. Someone made a comment that he was innovative and he is Jazz/Blues artist. So naturally when I listened to some random songs of his I made the judgement call and they did not sound innovative because there have been previous artists before his time that have done it and they just so happen to be African Americans. How is that creating a buzz? Originally, no one really specified what specific songs he innovated or the genre he innovated so how am I suppose to decipher between people saying he is a innovative blues/jazz artist versus he innovated his own style? I don't know much about him

This song is interesting, better than the others I have listened too. His singing sounds better on this one. I don't know much about him so I will just accept this for now until I research more. What is the name of the genre he innovated? What is this style of music called if it is not blues/jazz?

I have never heard of him before so naturally if I pick some random songs on youtube I am going to base it on that.

He is definitely not a good technical singer in any shape of fashion but you don't need to be in order to be a good singer.

The way his voice sounds when he sings is an acquired taste I guess. I really can't get into it much.

There have been singers that sound the way he sound but I think better singers if that makes sense.

Jimmy Smith also has a similar singing style but sounds better.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote