Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #245 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

...and now for something completely different:

Artist:
My Chemical Romance
Album: I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love
Year: 2002
Genre: Post-hardcore/pop punk

Alright, so I just found my old Last.fm profile. I looked at the stats, and man, I listened to a lot of MCR. Then my tastes started changing, and I gradually stopped listening to them until they were merely a somewhat embarrassing memory. But I didn't familiarize myself all that much with this album, so I decided to listen to it now and form an opinion on it, y'know? It starts off with "Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough for the Two of Us", which sets the theme and introduces us to the general sound of the album, which can be described with such assorted adjectives as "energetic", "raw", "campy", "overblown", "cheesy" and "sappy".

All the songs up until track 8 pretty much sound like that, then we are suddenly introduced to... twinkly guitars? The hell? "Early Sunsets Over Monroeville" is legit Midwest-inspired emo, guys. Well, that was unexpected, but certainly not unappreciated. I dig it.

Now I'm just wondering why the hell this has a 2.72/5 on RYM while The Black Parade has 3/5. Screw that album. This stuff is genuinely enjoyable if you can get past the fact that it's campy, whiny, weepy and all that. I get the feeling that the people who rate this lowly are either punk elitists who didn't even bother listening to it, or scene kids who dig The Black Parade but are put off by the rawness of this album.

3.5/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote