Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #9549 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
This is totally not true. Someone made a comment that he was innovative and he is Jazz/Blues artist. So naturally when I listened to some random songs of his I made the judgement call and they did not sound innovative because there have been previous artists before his time that have done it. Originally, no one really specified what specific songs he innovated or the genre he innovated so how am I suppose to decipher between people saying he is a innovative blues/jazz artist versus he innovated his own style? I don't know much about him

This song is interesting, better than the others I have listened too. His singing sounds better on this one. I don't know much about him so I will just accept this for now until I research more. What is the name of the genre he innovated? What is this style of music called if it is not blues/jazz?

I have never heard of him before so naturally if I pick some random songs on youtube I am going to base it on that.

He is definitely not a good technical singer in any shape of fashion but you don't need to be in order to be a good singer.

The way his voice sounds when he sings is an acquired taste I guess. I really can't get into it much.
So being an innovative jazz artist means that you invented jazz? Haha okay buddy. Before playing your hand of race cards maybe next time you can do some research on Wikipedia or something because an artist's more out there stuff is rarely their most popular. That's not to mention that it was you who brought up innovation in the first place, why would you expect anyone to specify which songs were innovative if the topic hadn't been brought up. Lazy research mate. There's no specific name for Tom Waits' music, it is very much its own thing while still having elements of jazz and blues. Being a part of a genre doesn't make it impossible to innovate within that genre or introduce others into it like Waits did with polka, industrial, etc.

I'm also well aware of the similarities between Waits, Satchmo, and Howlin' Wolf. That's just one of the jazz elements that are prominent in his music, but it doesn't detract from the areas in which he introduced new ideas.

You don't have to like him, but innovation is innovation. I can't stand Eugene Chadbourne, but I will admit that the electric rake is pretty damn innovative.

Last edited by Frownland; 10-10-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote