Music Banter - View Single Post - Barbershop/A capella/Vocal Harmony
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
I'm so glad to hear you dug it! A Beach Boys reappraisal is always a good thing in my book, I hope the rest does not disappoint. I personally (and this is with the utmost respect for the Boys) can't get all into all of their albums, although they have great stuff on albums I usual wouldn't listen to regularly nonetheless.

Btw, I don't know if you've heard much Animal Collective, they're another band I recommend all the time for instances like these (or any time really, next will be Neil Young), but yeah they use vocal harmonies and the voice as an instrument constantly, it's very forefront and earns them a lot of comparisons to Great Era Boys. So if you haven't checked them yet, I def rec it.
I always thought Animal Collective were just another indie/alternative rock band, genres I'm not particularly fond of (although those might be genres that are to vague and diverse to dismiss them just like that).
As it turns out they do have a quite distinctive sound, nothing standard about it, but I'm afraid they are still somehow to indie/alternative-sounding for my tastes (although I can't quite put my finger on what elements make me think so). But once again, thanks for the tip!
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote