Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #545 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
If my recollection is correct you've never been a fan of this album?

I've always felt that Slayer's heaviness is largely defined by their speed, and to me KEA is definitely the most hard hitting album in that respect.

In terms of mood of their sound I could see your point, but in regards to the guitar sound itself I don't see a large difference, I believe most of the songs on the first three albums are done in standard tuning.
I think Slayer's heaviness comes from their sense of rhythm, the backbone of which is Dave Lombardo. The way everything else locks in with what he's playing is what makes them so damn heavy. Metallica can't touch it overall, but they especially couldn't touch it back when Lars was an even weaker drummer and Kirk and James had yet to develop the more rhythmic approach that you hear on a later song like "Battery".

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Totally agree 5 years later when the musical landscape had gotten much heavier and Metallica was putting stuff out like this, which generally has a light and tinnish sound to it

it still didn't match the intensity and raw aggression of something like this.

Got I love this song! It gets me so hyped that it makes me want to rip off some self correcting know it all's head and punt it across the football field while I bath in their blood yelling Metallica!!!
I totally disagree with you. "Dyer's Eve" has a much, much heavier sound to me. "Whiplash" is one of the best songs on KEA and it's nice and fast, but it still has that thin quality—partly because the drumming is so uninteresting, partly because of the guitar tone, and partly because it's simply not as well constructed of a song. It's not even in the same league as Slayer. Nothing with such dull drumming could be.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote