Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica
Thread: Metallica
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #546 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think Slayer's heaviness comes from their sense of rhythm, the backbone of which is Dave Lombardo. The way everything else locks in with what he's playing is what makes them so damn heavy. Metallica can't touch it overall, but they especially couldn't touch it back when Lars was an even weaker drummer and Kirk and James had yet to develop the more rhythmic approach that you hear on a later song like "Battery".

I totally disagree with you. "Dyer's Eve" has a much, much heavier sound to me. "Whiplash" is one of the best songs on KEA and it's nice and fast, but it still has that thin quality—partly because the drumming is so uninteresting, partly because of the guitar tone, and partly because it's simply not as well constructed of a song. It's not even in the same league as Slayer. Nothing with such dull drumming could be.
I agree with you on Dave Lombardo Janzoon, if your going for the drum sound than Slayer has a much darker and heavier sound in general, its like your marching in to war with a demonic army, but overall I think Lars is a very good drummer.

Thus I have to totally disagree with you on Whiplash versus Dyer's Eve. I find the guitar sound much heavier, and the double tom drums as I said gets me so pumped I want to rip someone's head off.

That comment was by no means directed towards you by the way. I've always found you pretty cool. Someone rubbed me the wrong way more than once so I lost my temper and my old avatar came out, apologies.

Anyways I just find it the most heaviest stripped down thrash album they made, but the opinion is obviously divided on the issue
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote