Music Banter - View Single Post - What is music, what is not?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I disagree. Your average uneducated music listener can recognize patterns in traditional genres and that is what tends to dictate if they find a song catchy or appealing. If you played the rock you mentioned 100 years ago they might not like it but they would still be able to recognize melody in it. It wouldn't be "just noise".

With math metal/grindcore etc anyone who isn't educated in music won't understand what is going on. They may like the sound of it but they sure as hell are not recognizing the points that Jans made.

Ultimately, the genre just isn't appealing to me. However, if I understood what they were doing I would most likely have a much greater appreciation for it than I currently do.
I mostly base this on my own experiences. When I first listened to heavy metal (which is quite melodic after all) as a kid I found it was just terrible noise. Sure I was just a child, but I was relatively knowledgeable about music and had experience with rock music. And as far as I can judge and compare that to my first feelings upon listening to extreme metal or some far-out noisy improvisations it was really similar. There is so much structure and melody I hear now in experimental music, which I just didn't hear when I first came across it, because I had no points of reference.

I also don't have much knowledge about musical theory. I do play some instruments a little, but on a very basic and primitive level, just for fun.
But I nonetheless enjoy really complex music, although I would never be able to exactly tell what rhythm it's in or what kind of progression is being played. I do enjoy the complexity, but mostly I just like how it sounds. Although I do think it would add to the pleasure, if I could understand the musical theory behind it.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote