Music Banter - View Single Post - What is music, what is not?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Precisely because of what I said. There are a lot of genres/subgenres I can't get into -- hip hop, punk, jazz --- but I would never say they were not music. But to me (and I stress the "to me" part; this is my opinion and how I see it, and nobody can change that only me if I decide I want to look at it another way) grindcore (sorry Jansz but I was asked) is just noise. To me (again, to me) there is no rhythm or melody in it. I'm not denying it's there and that other people can hear, even categorise it (Cryptosy is better than Three Screaming Idiots or whatever) but I, personally, cannot and never will. To me, the difference between the sound grindcore makes and that of a car accident is minimal. I understand people find that hard to credit.

Look at it this way: somebody hates jazz. I put on let's say free jazz. This other body says "God that's just noise!" I can respond by saying "I don't like it but you can hear it's music not noise. Listen to the piano, the sax, the drums" etc. Now with grindcore (again, sorry but it's the one) I could not answer that same accusation. I could not break the music down, because to me it is not music and I have no way to, if you like, justify or legitimise it. It's purely noise, to me and my unnamed listening partner. It's not music I don't like --- I could put on a punk record and say I hate this music, but it would not be noise --- it's just noise. To me.

So you two will buy my album then?
Thanks for elaborating. And you really don't have to stress that it's just a personal opinion, there's nothing wrong with it, although sadly there are lots of snobs out there who would say there is.

I wouldn't blindly buy it, but I wouldn't dismiss it because of it's concept and give it a try. I think I actually do have several albums along the lines of trashcan-banging and top-of-the-lung-screaming, although to my knowledge no felines were involved.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote