Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #202 (permalink)
Key

Ghost

Devin Townsend has been quoted saying "this is by far one of the mellowest and nicest sounding albums i've done" (I assume upon the release), and even though that was said upon it's release, it still remains to be true. Ghost is an album presented on the Devin Townsend Project series, and quite possibly one of the finest works of art that Devin has created.

You can consider this album to be a mix between ambient and progressive rock, but I like to consider it a masterpiece in it's own right. When I heard about the double release in 2011 with Ghost and Deconstruction, I was kind of expecting Deconstruction to be a heavy album, but I wasn't entirely sure what to expect out of Ghost. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised to hear what this album was about, and it completely blew me away, far more than any of his other albums had done prior, but don't worry, i'm not belittling any of his previous releases.

I want to talk about the album cover for a second, because it really captivates on it's own what to expect from an album like this. Whenever I listen to this album, more often than not, I think about this album being one of the few albums i'd take with me if I wanted to get away from the world and live on an island for the rest of my life. It's perfect for both sitting out during the day, and even better at night, since it has that effect of just mellowing you out and creating a sense of therapy for your mind and body. There's just something about this album that makes me want to just chill, and open a cold one. And that's a good thing.

Not related to the album cover, this album reminds me of Fall (the season, not the band) and that probably comes from the fact that lately, i've been waking up in the morning to get ready for work, and I just want to listen to this album, and coincidentally we are in the Fall season, so it just fits. The leaves falling, the cold weather, and this album. It all just fits together so perfectly.

I haven't really touched on Devin's vocals throughout this album, because I don't think in words I can really do it justice, but let's just say, throughout this album, his voice will put your mind at ease, and will allow you to just be thoughtless and calm. He captures such a beautiful essence with his voice and it go wonderfully with the music. A fantastic combination if I ever heard one.

There's actually quite a few tracks on this album that I deem to be the finest tracks in Devin's entire catalog, and that's saying a lot. Of course, as any other Devin album, it's always good to listen to this album in it's entirety, it's the only way to truly capture it's perfection, but those few tracks I want to mention include:

Spoiler for youtube videos:

^With Ghost and Blackberry, it's a must that you listen to the tracks one after the other, otherwise you don't capture the true perfection behind the them.

In it's entirety, this album is one of Devin's perfect albums and that is saying something when you discuss his catalog, because you get a lot of those types of albums in his catalog. This one is simply a must, and I really hope that you give it a spin.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote