Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music becoming more homogenized?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I disagree. Listen to the underground bands of any generation, and you'll find as much innovation and love for music as any other point in time. Try listening to the "Pebbles" and "Girls in the Garage" compilations (A big collection of 1960s underground music forgotten by time), and you'll very quickly see that even back then people were tired of the same-old pop formula. People like to think they are more experimental and mindful than their ancestors were, but in the end, they were people just like us, singing about the same themes and trying to have as much fun as possible with the tools at their disposal.
I wasn't actually suggesting that current musicians are more innovative today then they were say, in the '60s for example. Maybe I should have clarified my statement better but I was suggesting about the availability and access musicians have these days compared to 20, 30, or 40 years ago with the internet and technology of modern times.
There is currently only 4 major recording companies compared to hundreds of them 20 years ago. I was mainly just suggesting that modern musicians have a little more independence today getting their music out to an audience in comparison to prior decades.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote