Music Banter - View Single Post - The weirdest list I've Ever Seen
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aichuk View Post
SPIN's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time | SPIN | Best of SPIN | All Time

I used to think the Rolling Stones greatest guitarist list was messed up but for a major magazine, this takes the cake. Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Gilmour and Allman are NOT in the list... but Skrillex is.

Now I understand that it's cliched to put those guitarists in a list, but once you start learning guitar , you'll learn to actually appreciate them and their playing is really great. I understand that Spin was going more for a great guitar sound maker kind of list (Sonic Youth's guitarists took the #1 spot and Kevin Shields was #2) instead of skill, but Hendrix's sound was innovative for his time.

I really appreciate some aspects of this list. It's fun to see modern guitarists of bands like Jesu, Dinosaur Jr. and the guitarists of Television appear. However, it's the greatest guitarists of ALL time.

An opinion is an opinion, and all lists are subjective. But I kinda felt insulted that Jimmy Page, B. B King, Chuck Berry, Wes Montgomery etc. does not even appear on the list, but Skrillex, Jam Master Jay of Run DMC, and Kurt Cobain (at #4) does. I felt that they were trying to be edgy just for the sake of being edgy.

What's your opinion?
Well, there are some severly underappreciated guitarists on this list.
If it helps them gain wider exposure, that justifies the list's silliness in other places for me.

Last edited by grindy; 10-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote