Music Banter - View Single Post - Is music becoming more homogenized?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I see your point, but western music has heavily influenced the world. Go to Russia, Germany, Italy, Japan, China, etc. and you will find hip-hop, western pop, punk, rock and roll, etc. Other countries have really started producing large amounts of chart topping musicians, but they all share a trend in that their musical stylings are deeply rooted in the western beat. So I think the trends in western music aren't just a blip on the radar of modern sound.

But hey, if you want to talk about the musical trends of other nations, feel free to. I'd love to see similar studies done around the world, or at least the opinion of someone from outside the U.S. Other countries have certainly changed in their sound as well (The same country that produced "The Ambush From All Sides" and "On the General's Mandate", China, is now producing auto-tune laden pop).
My point is that the music being charted in that study is a very tiny sliver of the music being made. Even within the western world, pop music is just a tiny sliver of all the music being created. So there's not much that be gleaned from that data except things that apply to an extremely small percentage of music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote