Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #203 (permalink)
Key

Ki

Just picture yourself sitting in a small to medium sized lounge area and you hear music playing overhead, you're not entirely sure what it is or who it is, but you like it. That would be Ki by Devin Townsend Project.

Ki is the first album under the Devin Townsend Project series, and a personal favorite of mine, it'd probably go number 1 on my list of favorites, but that does change periodically. This album, just like Ghost, is one of Devin's more mellowed albums. However, this one could be more closely resembled with his newer work from Casualties of Cool, since it has the mixture of progressive rock, and blues. And a bit of acoustic guitar.

You hear a lot of different things throughout this album as I mentioned before, it's sort of like he took a lot of the mellower sounding genres in music, and merged it into one album while making it his own, and he did so in such a brilliant fashion. You start the album off with an ambiance of an opening track, then you get more into the acoustic / bluesy side of it, and then leads into more of the progressive rock and more ambiance. A personal favorite off the album would have to be Terminal. It combines his stellar songwriting with this expertise in the acoustic / ambient genres.

Spoiler for video:

When I first heard this album, that song sort of sneaked up on me, not because I wasn't expecting it, but it's just a lot different than the rest of the album, however in this case it was put in the perfect spot on the album, and it worked for Devin. And then of course as the album goes on, you once again get more of the mixture of progressive rock and blues.

I'd honestly say that this could be my favorite Devin Townsend album, and I know I said I change a lot, but there are two reasons why I would still call this my favorite. On one hand, I believe it was the first album I ever heard from him, so I was already in good hands being given a recommendation such as this, and on the other hand, I just find it easily accessible and fun to listen to, so much that it'd be the first recommendation that i'd give anybody who's either willing to give Devin Townsend a first chance, or wants to hear his more mellow side. I'm hoping that comes off as not belittling Ghost in any way, this album just came before that, so naturally it'd come first as a recommendation. Maybe that makes no sense, I don't know.

Not a whole lot more can really be said that hasn't been said. You get a nice feel of his vocals once again on this album as well as his nearly perfect songwriting style, and the production quality is simply fantastic. If I were to give any advice going into this album, do it when you feel relaxed. This album will put you in a trance, just like Ghost does, by putting you into a nice mellow atmosphere and just allows you to forget everything bad and you will just enjoy the presence of the music. You'll feel the music, and that's the best part.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote