Music Banter - View Single Post - My Album/Song Of The Day
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Day 8 10/19/14

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

It is now album week, I've already got all my picks and I cannot wait to post them all. There should be some pretty interesting ones along with a few generally considered "classic" albums. I'm devoting the first half of the week to said classic albums.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot where do I even begin, it's one of those albums that within the first thirty seconds you know you're in for something different than you're normal pop or rock record, something genuinely unique. From the long winded drones that unfold as the song will progress such as I Am Trying To Break Your Heart or Poor Places, to poppy near Beatle-esque songs like Heavy Metal Drummer, Kamera, or Pot Kettle Black. It was the album that changed Wilco's career trajectory, and inner-band tensions (represented in the amazing documentary about the album I Am Trying To Break Your Heart).

All the elements came together on the album it was Tweedy's writing at his best, Jay Bennet's pop sensibility, and the addition of Kotche's unique style of drumming all blended into something that Being There and Summerteeth only hinted at in terms of ambition. An album truly deserving of the praise it has gotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7sNncgIKE
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote