Music Banter - View Single Post - Which albums still seem "fresh" to you?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
kriswright
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
kriswright, I hear so many mentions of that Neutral Milk Hotel album that I might check it out. I wonder what I should expect from it ?
I'd say it's a songwriting-driven album, so think more of the pleasures of listening to a great Bob Dylan album rather than something more musically technical like jazz or something. The lyrics are oblique, personal and there are references to Anne Frank weaved through many of the songs. The 90s, of course, were full of bad REM/Nirvana copycats who tried and failed with oblique lyrics (I think of Bush's hilarious line "Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow") but Neutral Milk Hotel gets the formula right. I can't always tell you what they're talking about on this record, but the imagery is strong and the juxtaposition of ideas works. But it's definitely one of those you actively listen to. It's not really a "clean the house to this" record.

When I think of the sound of that record, I think guitar chords and sloppy trombone. So, uhm, be in the mood to hear some sloppy trombone, I guess.

That said, I wouldn't go in with too many preconceived notions. It's a record that gets discussed a lot nowadays as a sort of overlooked masterpiece. Now, it probably was an overlooked masterpiece, but I think saying that puts a lot of pressure on the album to be BIG when it's really better as a small, personal album. If that makes sense.

That said, I came to it late, after the hype had already built for it, and I was somewhat skeptical. I was actively listening to music the year it came out and I don't remember anyone talking about this album. But it still won me over. So... yeah, I'd say just give it a listen and see if it could do the same for you.
kriswright is offline   Reply With Quote