Music Banter - View Single Post - What is your favorite punk band?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #123 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent
Everything is opinion, since it all just belies perception, which is relative to the perceiver.

Since I don't want to argue that, I'll narrow it down to art- art is what you perceive it to be. Sorting musical groups in genres is something that was meant to be helpful in understanding what kind of music a group plays without having to hear them, but has often become a source of argument. Since each group is different, genres almost always rely on a "general sound" to tie the bands together, and while often that sound has no definition, it does have a connotation which many people relate it with.

Connotation, of course, is a matter of perception, and everyone perceives things differently, especially something like music. So, genres are dependent on opinion and opinions cannot be right or wrong because it relies on feelings, and everyone feels differently. I suppose we could say, if the majority of people feel this way, then that is right, and the minority is just stupid. But that is a dangerous mentality.

There are no absolutes, though some people become so enraptured with their own views that they misinterpret them as absolutes...