Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychedelia Album Club I - "Incense and Peppermints" - The Strawberry Alarm Clock
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Moss
Scuttle Buttin'

This is a fantastic album. If you look up Psychedelic in the dictionary they should have a picture of this album. I'm sure the title track brings back the 60's to many people more than just about any other song. It’s just such a classic sounding album, some might say dated, but I say it’s certainly “of it’s time”, or maybe ahead of it’s time when it came out. There is no way a modern band trying to sound psychedelic could pull something like this off, it’s a product of the time.

Anyways, part of what makes this album great is the musicianship. A song like “The Worlds on fire” mixes in Vibes, Organ, Guitar, Flute, Bass, and harmony vocals and it all works. You got “Lose to love” which throws in some nice time changes and there are other “proggy” elements throughout (which makes Trollhearts low score a bit of a surprise )These are not slouch musicians. Great Organ throughout the album. Some nice guitar by Ed King himself. I mean this guy co writes the title track and 5 years later helped write Sweet Home Alabama among other Skynyrd hits. Whatever you may think of that band, Ed King played some ripping guitar when he was with them and you can hear his chops on this album.

Great overall sound, holds together as an album and not just a group of songs. It was a pleasure to revisit it after so long, I forgot how good it was.

8/10
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote