Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychedelia Album Club I - "Incense and Peppermints" - The Strawberry Alarm Clock
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermints (1967)

Well unfortunately I've only had the chance to listen to the album once, but I have to speak my mind now because it's my last chance!

I felt like it was a good bit of 60s psychedelic pop, but also pretty run-of-the-mill as far as the genre is concerned. An album you might discover when you're digging really deep into 60s psych pop, when you just can't get enough of The Beatles, The Kinks, The Byrds, The Stones, Love, The Zombies, etc. and you must find and discover new bands. Eventually you get to stuff like this, The Action, Clear Light, The Creation, The Smoke, Chocolate Watch Band, The Fallen Angels, The Family Tree, The Idle Race, The Moon, etc. and among those are albums I really like, but for the most part with these one listen isn't going to blow me away and that's what happened here. I may come to like it with more listens, but I have a ton of similar records already and I don't feel like it offers much to prove its worth.

The sad part is that many of us will reach for something a bit more obscure than the psychedelic music almost everyone knows, so there's that chance its amazing to that person and everyone else giving it a single cursory listen won't get it. Unfortunately that's the way these things go. At least we give it a chance and who knows, it might strike a chord on the first listen. That's what we always hope anyway.

But as of now I have to give this a 6/10.