Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #9696 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
For me personally, music by Supertramp and 10CC holds up a lot better than Styx. To paraphrase the bunny - Styx is for kids.
As a Brit I find Styx one of the best and most fascinating American bands of their era.

Quote:
I guess you could consider 'Dream Police' a prog pop album, but I think Cheap Trick, as good as they are, are more of a straight up pop band and weren't quite as ornate as 10CC or Supertramp.
I'd always refer to Cheap Trick as a rock band or power pop and never as a straight up pop band. Dream Police is probably my favourite album personally of theirs, thanks to the two epics "Need Your Love" and "Gonna Raise Hell".

Quote:
I could defend ELO till the cows come home, but I won't because I can see where a lot of people would find their music trite or corny. I love them dearly though, having grown up with their music. I even like 'Xanadu'!
ELO are one of the most hated bands along with Styx on these threads, but I like a lot of ELO material and have a real fondness for the Time album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
In hindsight Styx suffers from weird production (did those guys never hear of reverb? those super dry guitars sound like crap now) and Dennis DeYoung's overly enunciated vocals.
Despite being a huge Styx fan, I never liked how Dennis De Young gradually dominated in the band over Tommy Shaw and James Young, constantly pushing the band into a more pop/concept direction, but I still really enjoy the Paradise Theatre and Kilroy Was Here albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
Well I do think Devo's second (and best) album is a bit underrated. They kinda sold out after that. Like a lot of New Wave bands, they started out fairly edgy and then got all their edges sanded off when they realized a modicum of success.
I agree with this, even though the first Devo album I got way back then was Freedom of Choice and it was the album that got me into the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
The Cars eponymous 1978 debut studio album set the template for the upcoming 80s new wave invasion.
Me old mate, that's hardly an unpopular opinion, it's one of the most famous albums of its time. It's like nearly on every essential rock and new-wave lists out there.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote