Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #205 (permalink)
Key

Addicted

So, we've been talking so far about the good albums that you can find in Devin Townsend's catalog, but let's talk about one that I personally don't think is one of his finest works. Addicted, is a part of the Devin Townsend Project family being released in 2009, and with Deconstruction being next in the line of albums.

This album, is a mixture of what I would call pop, metal, and symphonic melodies, but honestly, it doesn't really have that feel that his other albums do. It's not that it doesn't flow at all, it does. It has a nice steady flow of great powerful songs that anyone who's into metal could enjoy, but as a Devin Townsend Project album, it's not up to par with the standards that Devin himself has bestowed on himself, and those are pretty high standards.

Being the album that it is however, I do think there are quite a few powerful tracks on their own that are worth mentioning.

Spoiler for videos+descriptions:

An absolute killer track and one found on the Ziltoid album I talked about earlier. The vocals are just beautiful.

This is one of the tracks that has that pop/dance feel to it, which was a weak point throughout the album, but this track on it's own is really catchy and really clever in it's own right.

Definitely one of my personal favorite slower songs of Devin's. The beautiful lyrics, guitar work, and vocals really make this a killer track.

When it all comes down to it, I just see this album as an album with a couple of great tracks, and that's about it. There's not a whole lot of specialty Devin Townsend magic to go along with it, at least from what I hear. I enjoy this album, I think it's listenable, and I have no problem recommending it to someone, but it wouldn't be anywhere near my favorite.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote