Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #209 (permalink)
Key

Deconstruction

Going to say this right away, this is possibly the finest example of what a heavy metal album should sound like, especially one with Devin Townsend involved. Now, i'm noticing i'm focusing big time on Devin Townsend Project specifically, that wasn't planned, I think that's just the way it turned out. But, oh well.

Anyway, Deconstruction was released in 2011, along with Ghost being released that same year, this is one of those times where Devin Townsend released two albums that are complete polar opposites of each other. I feel the same way about this album that I do about Ghost, just absolute perfection. And that's saying something when an artist decides to release two albums in the same year, shows that he's got a great sense of creativity and musical intelligence.

Reviewing this album right after my Addicted review was purely coincidence, considering Addicted was released a few years before Deconstruction, but they are neighbors in the timeline of albums released under Devin Townsend Project.

Onto a bit about the album. What is there to say really, if you're looking for a nearly perfect heavy metal / progressive metal album, this would be the one to turn to. It mixes some of Devin's finest gifts, his ability to growl, his heavy guitar chords, and of course, a bit of his quirky-ness and nerdiness really add a wonderful touch to an already perfect album. Let's say you're walking to work, or home, and suddenly you feel the urge to listen to a heavy metal song that is about Cheeseburgers, well you're in luck, because Devin Townsend made a track like that on this album, and it's easily one of the best (which doesn't seem to appear on Youtube, lame).

Then of course we have a wonderful track simply titled "The Mighty Masturbator" which is a personal favorite of mine, mostly because this track is just everything I love about metal. And has some fantastic atmosphere and backing vocals near the end which really adds a nice touch. You hear Devin at his best in this track, though that's the way it is throughout the album altogether.

Spoiler for video:

Then we have some heavier tracks which really adds to the power that this album conveys.

Spoiler for videos:

This album has everything. It really does. It's perfection shines throughout the entire album, and you're left with wanting more and more each time you hear it. This is definitely an album I would consider listening to at least 2 times in order to really get a grasp as to what is going on. Due to this album being so technical and heavy, a first listen will sort of leave you confused, but the more you listen, the better it gets.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote