Music Banter - View Single Post - Your favourite opening sentence?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
grindy

“I can feel the heat closing in, feel them out there making their moves, setting up their devil doll stool pigeons, crooning over my spoon and dropper I throw away at Washington Square Station, vault a turnstile and two flights down the iron stairs, catch an uptown A train…"
-Naked Lunch (W.S. Burroughs)

One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug.
-Metamorphosis (F. Kafka)

In accordance with the law the death sentence was announced to Cincinnatus C. in a whisper.
-Invitation To A Beheading (V. Nabokov)

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.
-Lolita (V. Nabokov)

The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite and perhaps infinite number of hexagonal galleries, with vast air shafts between, surrounded by very low railings.
-The Library Of Babel (J.L. Borges)

May it please heaven that the reader, emboldened and having for the time being become as fierce as what he is reading, should, without being led astray, find his rugged and treacherous way across the desolate swamps of these sombre and poison-filled pages; for, unless he brings to his reading a rigorous logic and a tautness of mind equal at least to his wariness, the deadly emanations of this book will dissolve his soul as water does sugar.
-Les Chants de Maldoror (Lautreamont)