Music Banter - View Single Post - I'm Here Today, Expect It To Stay On - Ki's Journal of Music
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #210 (permalink)
Key

Synchestra

I'm going to be honest, when I first heard this album, years ago, I honestly didn't think much of it. There wasn't a whole lot that I particularly liked about it, and it just became an album that sat in my library collecting dust. That changed dramatically when I listened to it again these last few days.

I used to think that this album was sort of an AOR / Hard Rock sort of deal, and in some cases that is still true, but I feel like this is one of Devin's more beautifully crafted heavy metal albums. It's definitely got the sound and feel to a Devin Townsend album that you would come to expect, although this album was released before a lot of the more perfect albums were released. Which honestly surprised me, because this album could easily surpass a lot of his later albums in quality, not saying the later albums are particularly lacking in quality, but I would never think this album was released in his earlier years. Which goes to show you how his album quality really hasn't gone away over the years, give or take a few albums *cough* Addicted *cough*.

Devin Townsend decided he wanted to make a permanent line-up for his solo work, and that's what this album stemmed from, along with Accelerated Evolution, which I will review in time. This project is known as The Devin Townsend Band, not to be confused with just simply Devin Townsend or Devin Townsend Project. Yeah, he goes by a lot of project names, but nonetheless, still fantastic. I'm hoping Accelerated Evolution has the same effect and will be good now as opposed to what it was when I first heard it years back. It's just rather bizarre that the two albums under The Devin Townsend Band weren't necessarily my favorites at the start.

When I first heard this album, I instantly was attached to one song, Gaia. Though that track is still one of my favorites on the album, there are a lot more that I have really gotten to like, and I see now that each track has it's own little quirk that makes this album pretty fantastic as a whole. Songs such as:

Spoiler for videos:

And we can't forget these two very cleverly crafted tracks that go so well together:

I still have yet to decide if I would put this album as perfect. Not yet, anyway. But it's honestly got the potential to reach that status with me. Nonetheless, I am really happy I went back and listened to this, because listening to it now, I see I missed a lot of the quality and amazingness that went into this album, and it has also made it's way more towards the top of my list for favorite Devin Townsend albums. I don't know exactly where i'd put it quite yet, but it's definitely up there now, and opposed to just being one of those albums I pass by every now and again.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote