Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #2463 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well, I sure didn't like their music but at least Fleshgrind were funny. Almost hilarious in fact. If I get something similar this time I really won't bitch. But with my luck I'll get some dour doom metal band who play one note every hour and fill their songs with drivel about the futility of existence and the bleakness of the cosmos. Come on guys: throw me a bone on this, the last visit of Metal Month II to

Why am I even asking? The metal gods hate me, and continue to rain down extreme metal band after extreme metal band on my poor shoulders. And if those bands can be unsigned or at least without any music available, so much the better. Grindcore? We'll give you fucking grindcore till yer ears bleed! What do they have against my progressive, power or even standard metal? What?

Well this is interesting. And unexpected. The subgenre tag is empty, and this band are just described as (gasp!) heavy metal! They have an album, but it must not have done very well because they clearly can't afford any logo. The album, their only one, came out in 1988, so would anyone like to run down to Paddy Power and throw a bet on that I can find it? Great name: Diass. Wonder if people ever said to them “I'm gonna kick you in Diass”? Probably not. Oh, just to add a little flavour, they're Japanese. Right, come here mousey mousey...

No. Thought I was getting lucky (why? What in the entire run of “The Meat Grinder” since its inception has ever given me the slightest stroke of luck? Why would I think that would change now?) but it was some guy called DJ Diass. Sigh. Well, obscure they may be and obscure they must remain, as I trudge heavily on, my eyes squinting ahead in the inky gloom for some glimmer of light that might lead me to ...

... a German death/thrash metal outfit. Oh great. At least these boys can afford a logo. And doesn't it look tough and hard?

They have one album, and weirdly, before that, one live album? Anyway, let's ssee if they're our huckleberry for this finale. No, almost: but that's a band called Vellocet, who to be honest look a whole lot more palatable to me. But no luck with Vellozet. With a z. In case anyone is grunting “Yes there is! You can buy their album ...” let me just stop you there. These are all random bands, bands I've never heard before and most likely the bigger percentage of them I will hate. So I will look for their music online with streaming sources or with YouTube, but I will be crucified and made listen to looped albums of grindcore before I will shell out even one cent for an album I'm probably gonna hate. So if it's not available for free, to misquote my made-up family motto, it ain't for me.

It ain't for me.

On we go. And this time it's melodic death metal. Oh joy! But they're from Mehi-co and only have the one album released in --- hmm: 2012 --- possibility?

Nah, too close to dementia, which are the only results that come up. So this is my last shot on this final visit. If I don't get something I can work with here, then it's all over for Metal Month II. Let's say a quick prayer and hit that button!

Well, they may be split up but at least these boys from Portugal have a decent amount of albums, so you never know. A thrash/death metal hybrid, so they may not be too bad. If I can find any of their albums online, that is!

No luck. They haev three albums but I can't find enough videos online to make up even one. Like one track off one album, two off another, one off an EP. Meh. Fail. What a pity.

And so we draw to a close our last look into the tumbling metal maelstrom that is the Meat Grinder. As ever, we've been less than lucky with our choices, and really, when you consider how many metal bands are out there, it's quite extraordinary that I have not been able to come across even one that falls into my own particular sphere of interest. But I have to put a limit on this, otherwise I could keep clicking Random forever. I'd eventually get a decent band, I assume, but I'd probably be too old to care at that point.

So here's where it ends for now. It's been sort of fun, and no doubt we'll find ourselves in here again at some point in the not-too-distant future. But for now it's goodbye to the machine, and hello to a more ordered form of metal. We now return you to the final week of Metal Month II. Thanks for playing.