Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #9708 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
Can't agree about the Car's post-Panorama work - I want to like it, but I can't. Admittedly, it might just be oversaturation - those later records got heavy radio play. After Panorama though, it was all just a bitter disappointment. Same way I felt when Talking Heads followed up Remain in Light with Speaking in Tongues. I know, Speaking is everyone's favorite T-Heads album, but for me it felt like a giant cop-out. Fortunately, I'm not quite as passionate as I used to be on these subjects and can actually entertain the notion that these are good records, just not to my taste. Age mellows you like that.

Totally agree about the Rats-Clash connection. I never thought of that before.
Well Speaking in Tongues is to Talking Heads what Heartbeat City was for the Cars, which was the commercial and glossy highlight for both bands and was necessary to concrete both bands as two of the biggest of their era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I personally don't think the Cars or Talking Heads were any more prominate than the Police were during the mid to late 70s, and on into the 80s new wave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I guess it depends on geography.

The Police were hardly ever out of the top 10 between say 78 & 84 in the UK whereas, Talking Heads I was aware of because of Once In A Lifetime & Road To Nowhere but not overly familiar with them. The Cars were basically a one hit wonder in the UK and that was only because of Live Aid.
As Urban as said in the UK The Police were hardly ever out of the top 10 and everybody and their grandma knew who they were. Talking heads were a band only known initially by the 'cool music crowd' that were in the know, before they became really known here around Speaking in Tongues. Cars initially broke circa 78 here but disappeared in the blink of an eye, only to resurface here with "Drive" thanks to Live Aid. They were always much more popular in the USA and elsewhere than they ever were in the UK.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote