Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Rights Disproving Itself
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #43 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i'm pointing out the discrepancy between a law protecting humans from harm via other humans which actually serves a useful purpose (promoting civil behavior and cohesion within society) vs a law meant to make people feel good. somehow the cat has better legal protection than a human in this one case yet in almost every other case is treated as a piece of property with no right to govern itself.
You're making this out to only be about the people and missing the point- it's not just to protect how we feel about the cat being kicked it's about how the cat feels about being kicked. Gee, what a concept... Extending our species' gift of empathy passed ourselves... whodduhthunkit

Quote:
once again we're talking about rights and what qualifies an entity for said rights. it's fine to say animals should have rights but the fact is they don't in most of our interactions with them. we only afford certain domesticated pets 'rights' to arbitrarily protect the feelings of their owners and other animal lovers. We aren't serious about giving them rights/autonomy and thus it is hard to take any discussion of their 'rights' seriously imo.
And once again I'm saying all animals should have the same rights. If you're only saying this of people who saw the video and then proceed to eat meat or whatever then sure. But my entire premise this whole time has been that we need to treat all animals with respect, not just the ones traditionally raised to be eaten. I've made that pretty clear multiple times.

Quote:
you're saying nothing here. batlord seemed to get my point, so don't pretend there isn't one. if you choose not to address it that's on you. roll another joint and return to your routine.
What? This: "We aren't serious about giving them rights/autonomy and thus it is hard to take any discussion of their 'rights' seriously imo."?
If so I refer you to my previous paragraph and would appreciate not being lumped in with those who "aren't serious". And if that last sentence is some sort of quip you can shove it. My indulgences don't exclude me from being able to have a discussion like this nor do they discredit my arguments.
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote