Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu-Metal Resurgence...
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Default Nu-Metal Resurgence...

There's a nu-metal thread. Jansz gave me the go ahead to open a new one, so do not merge it with the old thread please, all you other mods.

Given that nu-metal has been slowly, yet sure climbing out of the grave for another go at the music world. How many of you think that maybe, just maybe, that this time around, nu-metal might actually get something right, and that with the new 'blood' being injected in the figurative veins of this still very much disliked genre, that it might just not remain a stagnant genre with no room to grow, and perhaps this time some of you may give it a shot?

Back in my days of really enjoying this genre, of course I was in middle school and high school during the peak of its popular. I heard some promise, rather, potential underneath all of the repetitive themes used by nearly every band under the sun that identified as a nu-metal band. Now. Don't get me wrong. I'm with every one of you that say that for the most part, this genre was horrible. But I was a teenager when it was popular, I enjoyed a handful of bands, but it isn't like I listen to them anymore these days, and there's reasons why that are obvious. For the nu-metal bands that I still listen to these days, they're the ones that in my opinion, had a little something more that all the others lacked; a bit more originality, a bit more depth to their music. But they weren't perfect, surely they weren't that great either. I just liked them.

What is the possibility that the genre will achieve growth this time around? I think it's a possibility, yet I'm not thinking it's entirely probable either. I've listened to maybe, five or six of the nu-metal bands stomping around today that are truly new in the genre; My Ticket Home (they say they're something called puke metal, what the hell is that???) and then there's Issues, which I can sort of see why they're called nu-metal, but they're much more metalcore or screamo than anything. There's other's I have heard. But right now I can't remember the names, and I truthfully can't be bothered to dig them up.

From what I have heard of these new, nu-metal bands thus far. Promise is bleak, or just not there. This resurgence is off to a pretty lousy start. The only thing 'new' or 'fresh' (I hate using that word to describe music...) that I have heard, was from nu-metal bands that were there at the start of it all, they're the only ones that are offering up anything even remotely different to the nu-metal of the 2000's. What bands? There's Korn, but they never went away, they were smart and took on some changes to survive. Then there's the band FLAW. Now, this band split back in mid 2005 I think it was, not real sure, don't really care, but they new material they have released, though only a few songs so far, sounds matured, there's growth or development in their overall sound. Nevertheless, it's still mediocre music, but better than a lot of the stuff from the 2000's. There's also Adema, these guys were moderately big back in the 2000's, and they sold just barely over a million albums combined so far...not impressive, but they moved some sales. Adema has gone through a lot of lineup changes. Right now it is down to their rhythm guitarist taking on lead vocals, but there's the same drummer and bassist. They put out a new EP a while back, not sure what year, and it sounded ok, but I was bored listening to it. Still. It had some development in that rapped nu-metal sound every band in 2000 had.

Linkin Park is still around, and they're still huge as all hell. I'm not a big fan, I'm pretty bored with them. Last time I really enjoyed an album from them was their first, Hybrid Theory, I was like...13 or 14? Whatever. But, Linkin Park have undergone some pretty obvious changes in their sound, starting with Minutes To Midnight, clear up to The Hunting Party, which is indeed heavy (lol, Linkin Park, a heavy band, no, not really...) My point is, some of the veteran nu-metal bands are still here, even Limp Bizkit. If these new, nu-metal bands can't realize that using that same formula from the 2000's won't get them anywhere, my verdict is that this resurgence will be short lived.

Thoughts, everyone?
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote