Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #335 (permalink)
Pet_Sounds
Remember the underscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
After the classic S and G albums, I was rather disappointed with Paul Simon`s solo efforts; gone are the ethereal harmonies and the lyrics like poetry. To me most of his pre-Graceland solo albums were patchy; a couple of good tracks, a handful of decent lyrics is all you get, so a compilation album may be the way to go. There used to be a really good one covering those albums,called Greatest Hits,etc: issued in 1977, it is unfortunately no longer available.

Graceland, on the other hand is a landmark album worth having in it's entirety. PS is joined by various South African musicians and they did wonders in revitalizing not only Paul`s sound, but also his career, and my waning interest in him as an artist!

I`m no expert on his post-Graceland stuff. Either his material isn`t as good as it used to be, or I`ve become immune to the charm of his music. Either way, I haven`t heard anything particularly noteworthy.
I was just digging through some old cassettes in the basement, and happened upon a 1977 release of Greatest Hits, Etc. The sound quality is surprisingly good. I'd had my eyes peeled for a copy in various used record stores for the past few weeks. Serendipity.