Music Banter - View Single Post - Nu-Metal Resurgence...
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
well most people will say Nu metal is Rapping/singing Down tuned guitars and rhytmatic drums and clicky bass

but thanks to KORN that sound was just a moment in time cus by there 3rd record they had already changed things up alla Tuned Guitars Bass lines less clicking and more layed back Drums

and different bands changed stuff around at that time has well

to them Nu metal meant Freedom like the freedom to just write what ever type of music they wanted that's why some bands in that umbrella went Heavier and some went more melodic
I'm not sure where I agree with any of this, but I do know where I disagree.

First, nu-metal was not primarily consisting of rap/sung vocals. There were bands that did this, but it was not the 'sound' that I would say people described it to be. The rap aspect was just a part of the overall formula, but singing was more dominant than the rapping. You had bands like 3rd Strike that did the rap/sung vocal, Limp Bizkit, some early Korn, Lifer, Pitchshifter did this to a point, Gravity Kills sort of...sort of haha, and there were other bands but, like I said, sung vocals was dominant or favored over the whole rap/sung formula.

You're right about down tuning, right in some aspect to the whole 'click' type stylized bass playing bands would emulate after Korn (Korn wasn't the first band to have that thick bass sound, just so you know...)

Freedom I would say played a role, but it's just another part of the formula. One major theme that the majority of bands in the genre followed, were extremely angst ridden, dark, angry, drawn out lyrical content. It was almost like it was a contest of who could sound the most damaged, most angry, ****ed up on drugs, messed up family life, etc. If you payed attention to the look a lot of these bands had, it was very street, or rather, they took aspects of that dirty grunge look, and made it darker to reflect the tone their music had. They were angry bands, mostly. Some positive, sure. But there was a lot of negativity in the music. Linkin Park took on a more boy band look, but they were try hards to fit in anyway, yeah yeah...millions of albums sold of their breakout album, not my point here...

I'll elaborate more after work...
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote