Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #2498 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

All good things must eventually come to an end....

And so we come, finally, to the end of Metal Month II. After thirty-one days, one hundred and three (!) albums, twenty-four separate sections, 266,521 words and over seventy days' research and writing, the second annual expedition into the world of heavy metal has come to a close. I hope you all enjoyed it, and thanks to those who contributed, whether by writing something, commenting or just reading. I aimed to give the month more focus this year, bringing in a lot more structure, and I hope that came across. Thanks to all of you who turned me on to new bands with your suggestions, or turned me inside out in some cases! I hope I did all your favourites proud, or at least didn't take them apart too much.

Over the course of this month I've learned a lot about myself and come to appreciate certain subgenres a lot more than I did, though grindcore remains and probably always will beyond my comprehension. I like to think I've grown musically, though I'm sure many of you will shake your heads and try to suppress laughter at that. In the end, it doesn't really matter though. What does matter is that, whether you passed through here occasionally over the past four weeks or stayed glued to my journal 24/7, eagerly awaiting the next upda--- sorrry, even I can't keep a straight face about that! --- you enjoyed yourself, that something here got your attention, tickled your fancy (I said FANCY! Someone give Batty a glass of water please), educated you or opened your mind up to new concepts in metal, or just induced neckache from too much headbanging. In short, that you had a bitchin' good time.

Immediately this ends I'm launching into research for next year, so if you thought Metal Month II was good, wait till you clap your eyes on Metal Month III! Yeah, we'll be back in 2015 to do it all over again, and hopefully better. But for now it's time for me to hang up my mouse, kick off my shoes and relax as winged maidens (not Iron ones!) bear me upwards on their gossamer wings and take me to my Fortress of Progitude, where they will see to my every whim --- yea, even unto the entire boxed set of Marillion rarities! --- and help me to relax for a while, free of the pressures of writing articles for Metal Month II. Not that I haven't enjoyed it, cause I have, immensely. But this sort of trojan work really takes it out of you. Worth it though. At least, I think so.

So again, thanks for staying with me, or dropping by, and we'll look forward to Metal Month III, in exactly ... three hundred and thirty-four days! And counting...

Peace out, and keep the faith!

Trollheart.

Trollheart would like to thank the following people, in alphabetical order, who helped make Metal Month II the success it was:

The Batlord, for trying to destroy me (and mostly failing) in his Torture Chamber. Also for his assistance on the Viking Metal segment. And for suggesting Primordial.

Briks, for his “What metal means to me” piece, and also his review of “Blood fire death”

Carpe Mortem, for introducing me to the wonders of Draconian's music

Janszoon, for supplying his top ten, and also for a lively and sometimes heated discussion on grindcore

Loathsome Pete, for introducing me to Sigh

Mondo Bungle, for his top ten.

Plankton, for his top ten. Sorry about Michael Schenker!

And thanks to all who suggested albums for me to listen to. Thanks also to anyone I may have inadvertently left out. Here's to next year!