Music Banter - View Single Post - Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Wpnfire listens to Black Sabbath (or tries to).

It took some time, but I somehow like "Black Sabbath" considerably more now. I have no idea why, but I appear to be immune to Ozzy now. Tons of things to talk about with this. The atmosphere is great, with the minimalist beat, and Iommi is all over the place: riffs, power chords… The whole song is undeniably heavy as well. I do not actually like when it speeds up towards the end, and it...kind of ruins the first part. The second part could have been a different song, but either way, I like this song much more than the first few times I listened to it.

"The Wizard" opens with a mighty swing as Iommi cranks out pure magic (pun unintended) from his guitar. To be fair, I still hate Ozzy's voice, but one, he's not wailing, and two, there's Iommi playing that fantastic riff. The difference in how much I like this song compared to the prior track I CANNOT overstate: this is so SOOO much better. It's hard to come up with legitimate complaints for this song, and it might actually be my favorite Sabbath song.

And we've descended back into boring territory once more with "Behind The Wall of Sleep." Not even Iommi can save this, and he does try I'll give him that. The song is just too slow. I don't like how Osbourne's voice alternates between left and right. The album wallows in mediocrity until "Sleeping Village," which is an instrumental, and a good one too. "The Warning" continues immediately following "Sleeping Village" and thought it is a bit long at over ten minutes, the bassline is solid, and it reamins interesting for most of its duration.

"Wicked World" brings the album to a close on a positive note. Ozzy's vocals are very lo-fi and surf rock-y, and Iommi's riffing is on par with "The Wizard," and just as addicting. As if he is unsatisfied with his somewhat restrained playing on previous tracks, Iommi goes all out on this song. The bassline is mighty fine as well. To close, the second half of this album is a far cry from the disappointment a lot of people label it as.
4/5 for Sabbath's debut.

Last edited by Wpnfire; 03-14-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote