Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is modern Hip-Hop music, aswell as mainstream pop so hated by people?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #63 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
I can't stand rap because there is no melody, just words spoken to a beat. It's as simple as that. I find it obnoxious and amusical. An occasional song like that might be an interesting diversion (think: "Shattered" by the Rolling Stones or "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen), but an entire genre of stuff like that is really going to get on my nerves. Plus, the beat is almost always the same (or extremely similar). That adds to the monotony. Yes I know there are a few rap songs with oddball beats and time signatures, but let's face it, those are relative rarities.

And it's not the rhythms themselves I dislike either - some of those can be interesting. But when you've got a guy yelling at me (not singing - talking or yelling) with that rhythm heavily (overly so, IMO) in the background, I'm going to be turned off. I don't like people yelling at me.
I kinda understand where you're coming from, because that's what I thought of rap a long time ago.
But the interaction of the words, their flow and the beat is hip-hop's kind of melody.
You might suddenly come to like it, as I once suddenly did. It's certainly nothing one could rationalize, but being open is always a good thing when it comes to music, so don't write an entire genre off too easily.