Music Banter - View Single Post - Underrated Guitarists Rock/Metal...
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Default Underrated Guitarists Rock/Metal...

Either I suck at searching for threads, or there actually isn't a thread for this and my search skills are pro. So yeah, anyway...

Everybody has their lists of musicians that they hold in high regard, and nobody is safe from having their opinion of those musicians analyzed or called out for being straight up BS, in the naysayers own opinion, respectively.

Guitarists. There are really great ones, really amazing ones, alright ones, mediocre ones, and others that just get by. There are bands out there that are hated the world over, but some of those bands have members, or just single members that are unfairly judged as being lame due to the band they're associated with. Slipknot. Joey Jordison is a highly overrated drummer like Lars from Metallica, but Jim Root is a pretty above average, to great guitar player who happens to play in an average or mediocre band. Wes Borland is an exceptionally great guitar player that plays in a band the is unfortunately hindered due to their singer, because without Fred Durst, Limp Bizkit just might be a pretty good group with the right singer.

Then there is Mark Tremonti of Creed and Alter Bridge fame. The guy can play a mean guitar, in my own opinion. I think that was confirmed at least for me when he, along with the other members of Creed, minus Scott Stapp, formed Alter Bridge and it seemed as though Mark Tremonti could finally have the room he wanted to show the world some of what he is capable of doing as a guitarist. He's honestly one of the most underrated guitarist in Rock/Metal, but that's my opinion on him.

Matt Heafy, singer and guitarist in Trivium I feel deserves a bit more credit over a lot of the hate he gets. He's not by any means the most accomplished guitarist in the Metal world, but he knows what he's doing, nonetheless. It's just too bad that both times I saw Trivium in concert, I was a bit let down by how they sounded and their overall stage presence...snooze fest, and I like the band too so that is saying something.

Michael Schøn Poulsen of Volbeat fame. That guy is another guitarist that I feel is a bit underrated. I was stoked as hell when I got to see Volbeat in concert, up in Seattle, Washington back in the summer of this year. It's the best concert I have ever been to, and I've seen TOOL in concert. Volbeat was the loudest, and clearest sounding band live I have ever seen. Their stage presence was amazing. And I got to see what Michael could do, he's not just a rhythm player, he does plenty of lead too and his technique is more refined and polished than I had thought when I was just listening to the band on speakers. Damn. Volbeat, sorely underrated. That band can play ****ing Metal!

What are some of your underrated guitarist that you think deserve more credit?
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote