Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #286 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
They executed Smith in the movie? In the book, he lived. I'm not sure which ending is more satisfying. Execution is obviously more glorious, but it doesn't seem to serve the author's point as well. Either way, doubleplusgood review!
Thanks man! Yeah, they didn't show it, but in his confession he says "I ask only now to be shot while my mind is clear" and after his interrogation/torture he asks O'Brien when they will shoot him, and he says not yet, but one day they will.
Quote:
Oh, and you mentioned that you'd be covering 1984 in The Scrap Heap. I'm not psychic.
Yeah, after you had guessed it! (Twilight Zone music) I just confirmed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Yeah, wasn't the whole point that his fate was worse than death?
In the book, maybe. As I say, it's been a while. Maybe for movie audiences they thought having him shot was better. I agree, letting him live, with the knowledge he had been broken, and serving as an example of what happens when you go up against the Party, would have been better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
You should do something on the 1954 BBC version with Peter Cushing in it.
I haven't seen that. Got a link mate?
Mind you, that review took a lot out of me when I did it, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Plus really, I'm not sure it's a good idea doing the same movie/subject twice. I think I've covered it in enough detail here. Would be interested seeing it though.