Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #1119 (permalink)
franscar
Honky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
what exactly is the point when YOU think life begins?
24 weeks after conception. As recommended by the medical profession, who know an awful lot more about foetal development than I do.

Quote:
may i draw your attention to the part where i say that women should definetly have the right to choose, abortion shouldn't be illegal for the single reason that women would still do it.
I was well aware of that, hence the incredulous double standard of you accusing me of having a "bullsh1t" excuse for seeking a termination.

Quote:
i realize that it's not an easy decision, but i ask you, if you're so bent on proving that it's not life or a prospecting person you decided to terminate, why is it so difficult? if it's just an extention of her body, inanimate ,not living, why is it so psychologically difficult? why isn't it as easy as cutting off your hair?
Since when did a woman have to go through a potentially difficult surgical procedure to have her hair cut? Yet again displaying a total lack of understanding of the physicalities involved, or attempting to belittle the event itself, either way is irresponsible and downright foolhardy.

Quote:
i'm not dictating what anyone should do. i'm merely saying that i think it's wrong and i'm trying to explain to you and others why i think it's wrong. like i said before, i am pro life, but i am also pro choice. if you want to do it, you should be able to do it.
Same double standard written in a different sentence. Congrats. You spend a rant telling me that a decision I have made in my life is bullsh1t, and then in the next post claim not to be dictating? What was that then, your impression of friendly advice?

Quote:
i don't think it's a good thing, i think it's a bad thing, but i think such things should be prevented in ways other than abortion.safe sex or no sex. i repeat, if you're going to have sex, you need to be aware of the possible consequences. having sex , being aware of that and then just deciding to have an abortion is simply reckless behaviour as far as i'm concerned.
It was bought up before by someone else and you ignored it, so I'll bring it up here again. Here's the facts for you. There is a disproportionate amount of unwanted pregnancies in low income, ill-educated households. These are households with the least access to contraception, and the least awareness of contraceptive methods. They are more likely to be the victims of and perpetrators of crime, and are more likely to experience mental and physical health problems and higher than average cases of depression, suicide, infant mortality and mortality in general. Just because YOU were educated enough to know the risks, doesn't mean everybody else is. You will not stop people from having sex, regardless of what your morals say. And as for those who choose to abort despite knowing the risks, tell me why it is reckless. They are not taking valuable resources away from the health services as the process is much more often than not undertake in private hospitals. They are not producing a burden on the state in the form of an unwanted child, they are only reckless because you decide it, with nothing more than the weight of your own mind behind it.

Quote:
i stated that example to explain that even though parents can be dickheads, the child can still have a good and happy life.
Has nothing to do with the topic in hand. You want to start a thread on bad parenting, do it somewhere else.

Quote:
you stated that it's better to terminate a pregnacy than to expose the child to the harsh realities of life.
No I didn't. You're twisting what I actually said to fit your agenda.

Quote:
i say that noones life is perfect and even when you are well off and decide that you want to have a child and can take care of it, it can still be unhappy and have a miserable life. should we then just stop procreating? because the child may or may not be unhappy? ( actually, yes, that's one of the reasons why i'm not having a child )
And there's the agenda. Seeing as it's nothing to do with what I actually wrote it isn't worthy of further comment.