Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Default Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!

Time for William's rant:

Like many people my age (the 35 + group) I couldn't figure out why modern pop music sucks so bad.

I primarily blamed it on the popularity of R&B and sampling. Since modern R&B is rooted in rap, most of these artists weren't capable of creating their own melodies, instead they were just sampling someone else's previous work and looping it to a beat. Although there are some sampling geniuses out there, overall its artistically limiting, and a death blow for pop quality music.

(I also apply this to modern dance artists that are just using the arpeggio button on a keyboard. So not just picking on R&B, but that's where the sampling started)

So thus its nice to have a scientific study that backs this up. A group of scientists from Spain ran the pop music of the last 50 years through a series of complex algorithms and found that modern pop music has less diversity of notes played, and is more bland it terms rhythm and melody.

Pop music too loud and all sounds the same: official | Reuters

They also found that record companies have ramped up the recording sound, which also takes away from intricate sounds you may hear overall, this blog shows a good example.

Scientific study proves that today’s pop music really does suck | Dan from Squirrel Hill's Blog

So har! har! even though there has been a turn around somewhat with artists like Goyte, Foster the People, and dare I say Lady Gaga, modern pop music really does sucks $hit

Please feel free to debate me on this with the examples below, because you can deal with this.

or that

This or that

This or that

Now I'm not opposed to technology in music, quite the contrary, but maybe record companies will figure out that more people will actually pay for music if the artists can write their own f#ckin songs and play their own f#ckin instruments instead of relying on sampling, arpeggios, and pro tools.