Music Banter - View Single Post - The Old Curiosity Shop
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Before he got a turntable, i had my friends vinyl collection and he had an Acker Bilk record, it was called London Tea Time or something along those lines. I didn't think much of the record when I first listened to it, but I listened to it again. My turntable was set to 45 speed from a previous record I was listening to, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot more. RIP Mr. Acker Bilk, shame to hear he's passed.
> Hey I forgot about that possibility with the old turntables; all the speeded up vocals sounded like The Chipmunks - and Acker Bilk must´ve sounded a bit more lively too. I remember playing a 45 rpm copy of I am the Walrus at 33.3, which turned it into a new kind of weird that I didn´t hear again until coming across GY!BE

> I was expecting a James Bond theme with The Man with the Golden Arm soundtrack, so I was very pleasantly surprised, Screen 13 - thanks for posting. That dated cool, like the Rod Stewarts, has a charm all it´s own - well, for me at least.

> Different era, different intention:-
Gassenhauer by Carl Orff probably suffers now from being too well-known, but it´s only one of a number of Schulwerk pieces that Orff wrote during the 1940's. Designed to be played and enjoyed by children, they give us a chance to rediscover a musical innocence too:-