Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychlub 4: "A Sufi and a Killer" - Gonjasufi
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Well unfortunately it seems I was right to avoid this album when it was released - I knew my tastes well enough. As I near the end of the album, it's funny how the experience is so in line with my original expectations. I like much of the music/production, which is essentially a combination of Flying Lotus and The Gaslamp Killer. But for the most part I can't stand the vocals. And if there's one thing I can say about my music tastes it's that vocals play a huge role. I don't care if I can't make out what a vocalist is saying, I just have to like the sound if I'm going to enjoy the music at all. Vocals aren't something I can often look past - if ever. I think the vocals are alright on some tracks, and did enjoy a few tracks. A 20-minute EP's worth of tracks, let's say. But at 54 minutes, I'm just not into it and can't see myself going in for a second listen. Am I glad I finally listened to the whole thing? Well not really, as it met the expectations I had of it 4 years ago when I decided not to listen to it.

Oh hey, there's an extra track on the version Spotify has (I think it's just a hidden track that they broke out), and it's basically him blabbering over Status Quo's "Black Veils of Melancholy". That was kind of cool as I like to hear 60s material used in this way. But again it would have been better without a drunk homeless man talking over it.

4/10