Music Banter - View Single Post - The Elusive World of Post Modern Rock
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Chapter Three
"Hep Cats Lost in Space"

Crystal Stilts ‎– In Love With Oblivion
  • band:Crystal Stilts
    • members:
      • Brad Hargett - vocals
      • JB Townsend - guitar
      • Kyle Forester - keyboards
      • Andy Adler - bass guitar
      • Keegan Cooke - drums
    • album:In Love With Oblivion
      • album released: April 11, 2011 (UK), April 12 (US)
      • time: 43:39
      • tracks:
        1. Sycamore Tree
        2. Through The Floor
        3. Silver Sun
        4. Alien Rivers
        5. Half A Moon
        6. Flying Into The Sun
        7. Shake The Shackles
        8. Precarious Stair
        9. Invisible City
        10. Blood Barons
        11. Prometheus At Large

Crystal Stilts ‎– Flying Into The Sun

Crystal Stilts ‎– Precarious Stair

Crystal Stilts ‎– Silver Sun

Crystal Stilts are rooted heavily in the sounds of the 60s with jangly Folk Rock, Psychedelia, Garage Rock, Surf, and R&B/Motown drum beats, the twangy guitar of Speghetti Westerns. Borrowing also from adjacent decades as well, with the moodiness of post-Punk, chords from Power Pop of the 70s and the occasional sound effects from Sci-fi/Space flicks of the 50s. The singer slips in between styles of Ian Curtis and Jim Morrison, but only does so in half measure, and it's not so evident because the vocals are drench in reverb. The guitar player uses a Gretsch with a Boss RE-20 Space Echo creating spaceship take-off and landing sounds effects. The keyboard player looks like he plays a home-made circuit bent organ providing MFOS-like sound FXs. It is easy to get lost in sound and become oblivious with with the outside world. As they travel through sonic space and harken back to a time musicians played actual instruments and not push buttons on launchpads.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote