Music Banter - View Single Post - Bonus tracks, special editions, box sets: your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

In these days of itunes and being able to buy single tracks it's not so relevant, but I used to be annoyed when a band or artiste I liked released an album with extra tracks that were only available in, say, US or Japan. Short of paying mad prices at the time to get a shop to import the album specially, you couldn't get these songs, unless you knew someone in those countries and they bought it for you and sent it over.

I don't get why an European release of an album is often different to that released in the US or other country. I'm also not a collector per se --- used to have a huge vinyl collection (well, still do but I don't collect it anymore) but even then I only bought albums I wanted, not special editions. Even now I'll baulk at paying a few extra cents for extra tracks I may not want, ESPECIALLY bloody live versions of the tracks that are on the album, or acoustic or "demo" versions. Just don't see the point. I can see how collectors would but not me.

Of course nobody's forced to buy anything, but sometimes peer pressure, espeically in younger people, might lead to questions like "Oh you only have the STANDARD edition of album X? You didn't buy the special collector's edition?" with the customary disdainful sniff. Not so much now again, but back then.

I simply though do not get how a band's catalogue can be released time and time and time again in almost the very same lineup as "greatest hits" collections, and people buy them? Really: that Eagles I spoke of? I think the only difference in the two, released a year or so apart, was the colour of the CD case. Honestly. Are people that stupid/dedicated/desperate?