Music Banter - View Single Post - Chula's Albums - The Early Years
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Default Chula's Albums - The Early Years

Having been born in 1960 and with a sister 3 years older than me my younger years were spent with a steady diet of The Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, and all of the other stuff that AM radio was playing throughout the mid 60s. I consider the very late 60s up through the first half of the 70s or so to be the formative years of my own musical growth. In this thread I'm going to re-visit the albums that had the biggest impact on me during those years.

LED ZEPPELIN I
LED ZEPPELIN II

Back when I was nine I would spend weekends with my dad and step-mom. There was a bowling alley and arcade place close to their house that was really popular with the local kids and I'd spend a lot of time hanging there with my sisters. They had a really big and loud jukebox which played the pop hits of the day non-stop. One night I'm hanging there and all of a sudden I hear DA-DA DA-DA DUM DA-DA-DUM DA-DA-DUM DA-DA-DUM DA-DA-DUM DA-DA-DUM DA-DA-DUM!!!! First just a distorted guitar. And then a rumbling bass guitar joined in. Suddenly this banshee wild man started wailing on about what this woman needed way down inside. And finally those canon like snare hits signaled the entrance of the heaviest drums I'd ever heard.

I was gobsmacked and immediately ran to see who the band was and what the song was. Needless to say it got played a number more times that night while I sat there mesmorized by the power and absolute heaviness of it all. Nine years old and I think my head was mini-banging by the final play of the evening.

Within days I owned Led Zeppelin 1 and shortly after, Led Zeppelin 2, and played them non-stop, with my older sister constantly telling me to "turn it down!" And all while I was smiling, knowing that I'd finally found MY music.

Thus began a 45 year love affair with my favorite all time band.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 11-18-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote