Music Banter - View Single Post - Stockhausen?
Thread: Stockhausen?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zack
Music Addict

To be fair, the term "experimental," in musicological and formally musically-educated generally has more of a Cagean flair to it, is in, the result is not determined, in some respect, whether composition or performance, so that the piece has an unknown result, thus, is an "experiment."

In more informal, general public circles, the term "experimental" seems to just mean, "sounds weird to me."

But, as far as I know, Stockhousen was not much of an experimentalist. He had ideas, and he set them forth in a structured, succinct manner. He may be old stuff now, but I think he could generally be considered equally as Avant Garde (for his time) or 20th century composition.

You'll find very few "classical" musicians who very willing apply that term to anything out of the common practice era. I might describe, say, Xenakis to someone who only listens to popular musics as "classical," and be accurate, in a musicological, pop-folk-classical sense, but inside the realm of "classical" most would not consider the disenfranchizing composers of the mid-twentieth century to be "classical." Then there's the difference between "Classical" the period, and "classical," the rigorous musical lineage.

Holy semantic satiation of the word "Classical."

Ummm, but I think Stockhausen could go either place, but might be more at home, given the general community on MB, over in "20th Century."
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote