Music Banter - View Single Post - Chula's Albums - The Early Years
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Snapshot: 1970

Something that's crucial to remember about back then was that there was only one way really to discover the new rock music that was coming out - word of mouth. There was no internet, no MTV, no advertising on television, nothing in mainstream newspapers or magazines, and underground FM radio was still very much in its infancy.

I found this album through a buddy at school. His older brother had bought it so we went over when he wasn't home and checked it out.

Grand Funk

I don't give a crap what anyone else says, the early stuff these guys were doing was the real precursor to a lot of the stripped down punk that came along in the late 70s. Bare bones, aggressive, and driving rock and roll with tons of attitude - this stuff simply kicked ass. And they put the bass guitar even more up front than The Who did.

I have vivid memories of me and my friend bouncing off of the walls to this album.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 11-13-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote