Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is modern Hip-Hop music, aswell as mainstream pop so hated by people?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #92 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
If you re-read the quote, you'll realize I neither said nor implied any such thing.
It looked like you did, but I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
I said in response to a couple of the videos on previous pages that the background instrumentations of the songs were actually OK. But if I wanted to listen to an instrumental melody, I'd just listen to an instrumental.

IMO something is lost if the person singing (or, "singing") a song does not actually sing notes but just "talks" some words (to a beat/instruments). It eliminates an entire avenue of emotional content and richness.

Imagine, for example, a song like the one below "sung" without notes - just reciting the poetry as in a poetry reading. Even keep the background instrumentation if you want. It might still be nice, but by not singing the melody so much would be lost. Notes add texture and emotional depth. You might still get a sense that it's a sad song, but it's just not the same. It would just be a guy talking, even if it's kinda nice talking.

So when I'm listening to music I don't just want some guy reciting poetry to me, I want something more than that. As I said before, rap is basically just poetry spoken to a beat (and instruments). If I wanted to listen to poetry, I'd go to a poetry recital. But when I listen to music, I want ... music. As in someone singing notes (presuming it's not an instrumental, of course).
I'm curious, are you opposed to people making rhythmic sounds with their mouths, even if those sounds are not words? Would you object to beatboxing of some kind in an instrumental song?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote