Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is modern Hip-Hop music, aswell as mainstream pop so hated by people?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #100 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
Drum solos can be OK at times, but it's usually not something I'm going to be interested in. In the case of drums in most songs, it is because they are background elements that it doesn't bother me. If it was a song with the drums mixed overly loud, to the point where it was drowning out the vocals and the rest of the song, then yes, that would be annoying too.
I think that may actually be the divide here. I absolutely love percussion and am perfectly happy listening to music which is entirely percussion, while it sounds like you're much more focused on melody always being the centerpiece.

Quote:
I'm still not sure you understand. The words themselves do not bother me, it is speaking those words without a melody that bothers me. In fact, as I said in the post I linked above, words aren't even that important to me in a song - if the words of my favorite song were nothing but, "You are a mother-f*cking a**hole" over and over again, I would probably like the song just as much as I do now.

Since words are unimportant to me while notes/melody are the overwhelming reason for my like of music in the first place, and you have a genre in which the focus of the song are words which don't even have a melody, how on earth am I going to be interested in that genre?

BTW I suspect that most people who don't like rap dislike it for the same reasons as I, though they probably couldn't explain their reasons for their dislike in as much detail as I have here.
I think you may be misunderstanding me actually. I do understand that it's not the content of the words that you care about and that's not what's distracting to you. All I'm saying is that there seems to be a thing for you where you feel that a word coming out of the mouth of a person in a musical context must be sung as a note or you find it distracting. It doesn't matter what that word is, it's simply the fact that it is a word rather than an abstract sound.

Quote:
Here we go: A drum solo from one of my favorite bands.

The question you would likely ask me is, do I like this song? My answer is, when I listen to this album in my car I usually skip it over. As a one-off thing I suppose it has a bit of novelty value, and perhaps if they used a more skilled drummer with more interesting beats/rhythms, I might not always skip it over. But since there aren't really any "notes" in the song it's not very interesting to me. (disclaimer: I know drums technically have "notes" but they're not really "note-y notes," if you know what I mean).
Eh. I love the Beach Boys, but I'm not much of a fan of that track either. What I'm talking about when I ask the question I was asking is actual percussion-based music, not a rock band doing a drum solo on one track. I mean something like this, which I've seen live, and which was literally one of the most gut-wrenching live musical experiences of my life:

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote