Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is modern Hip-Hop music, aswell as mainstream pop so hated by people?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #101 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think that may actually be the divide here. I absolutely love percussion and am perfectly happy listening to music which is entirely percussion, while it sounds like you're much more focused on melody always being the centerpiece.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think you may be misunderstanding me actually. I do understand that it's not the content of the words that you care about and that's not what's distracting to you. All I'm saying is that there seems to be a thing for you where you feel that a word coming out of the mouth of a person in a musical context must be sung as a note or you find it distracting. It doesn't matter what that word is, it's simply the fact that it is a word rather than an abstract sound.
You're more on target here. But remember my reason: Since I focus on something with notes more than something that's just words, in a "mixed-mode genre" with both background notes and foreground speaking, my mind is automatically going to pay attention to the background notes and (try to) tune out the foreground speaking. That's not always easy, so the foreground speaking "gets in the way" of me trying to listen to the background notes. If the singer decided to sing notes instead of just speaking, I wouldn't tune him/her out because he/she is actually singing notes, which I automatically focus on anyway.