Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is modern Hip-Hop music, aswell as mainstream pop so hated by people?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #106 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

^
Here. Listening to that 2nd version of The Raven, was to me just about the exact same experience as listening to this song here. I found myself focusing on the background music and tuning out the words in the verses (and when the refrain kicks in when they actually sing notes I perk up and pay attention to the foreground).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
Quote:
If you have any interest at all check these out:

Emanon - The Words (This guy can sing, he's amazing)
The background arrangement and refrain of that were actually pretty good. But the "singing" in the verses is just more typical rap stuff IMO.

I think one reason why it doesn't appeal to me is, lyrics have always been very unimportant to me. Rap seems to be a genre where the lyrics are the foremost point of interest in the song. I just can't get myself to care about, or pay attention to, all those words. For example, in the song above, in the verses, I found myself completely tuning out the "singing" once it became apparent to me there was going to be no melody, and I completely focused on the background arrangement. Then once the refrain/chorus kicked in, I suddenly paid attention to the singing because, suddenly, an actual melody emerged.